I’m not what you’d call a particularly social butterfly. I have no trouble in a crowd and often have fun. But I also have days when I don’t feel social. Lately, I’ve been daydreaming of a post-Pandemic party. We have this huge deck which we haven’t really taken advantage of, as far as parties go, thanks to everyone being isolated for the last year.
A few days ago, I began to put together what I call a “Post-Pandemic Party Playlist.” Just a bunch of fun songs that I imagine playing in the background while we have a bunch of friends over, the grill fired up, a cooler full of drinks on the deck, and food scattered about the house. I imagine some people downstairs playing pool or ping pong in the family room. The kids might be in the game room playing Xbox with their friends. The grownups are all out on the deck, or hovering around the food in the kitchen.
Normally, I find these kinds of parties to be fun, but I’m an early bird, and am ready to wind things down by 7 or 8 pm. But in my imagination recently, I picture these parties going on well into the night. I picture a lot of joking and laughing. I imagine a kind of release and relief. No one is talking about the Pandemic. For a few hours, we all pretend it never happened and just enjoy the fact that we can be out with friends, having a good time again.
Kelly and I are both scheduled to get our second dose of the COVID vaccine later this week. Maybe such a party isn’t too far-fetched sometime in the not-too-distant future. We have a Karaoke machine. I think we’ll have to include that in the party as well.
Oh, and if anyone is wondering what’s on my playlist. Here it is. I listened to it a couple of times today while spending most of the day writing code (yes, working on a Saturday). It made the time go by quickly.
- Thunderstruck by AC/DC
- Strip Adam Ant
- Love in an Elevator by Aerosmith
- Lonely People by America
- Blame It on the Bossa Nova by Annette Funicello
- Love Shack by the B-52’s
- I Want to Conquer the World by Bad Religion
- Fun, Fun, Fun by The Beach Boys
- Here Comes the Sun by The Beatles
- Shelter from the Storm by Bob Dylan
- Wild in the Streets by Bon Jovi
- Let the Day Begin by The Call
- Tubthumping by Chumbawamba
- Viva la Vida by Coldplay
- Tessie by Dropkick Murphys
- Pump It Up by Elvis Costello
- Vacation by The Go-Go’s
- There’s a Boat That’s Leavin’ Soon for New York by Louis Armstrong
- Be Good Johnny by Men at Work
- Sweet Caroline by Neil Diamond
- Feelin’ Love by Paula Cole
- Goodbye-Goodbye by Oingo Boingo
- In Your Eyes by Peter Gabriel
- Supernatural Superserious by R.E.M.
- I Love L.A. by Randy Newman
- Freewill by Rush
- On the Loose by Saga
- Come on Eileen (cover) by Save Ferris
- Spam by Save Ferris
- Free Fallin’ by Tom Petty
- Jump by Van Halen
I imagine this list will continue to grow until this imagined party actually takes place. Listening to it gives me hope that this party will eventually happen.