All Rhodes lead to Rome

Written at about 7:45 PM local time

As you may have guessed, we were in Rhodes, Greece today. We got in very early in the morning and when I woke up, sometime around 8 AM, people were already getting off the ship to go into the city.

Rhodes, like Dubrovnik, is a walled city. Because of some miscommunications, I went in by myself this morning, thinking that Mom and Dad, and Jen and Jason had already gone. I eventually met up with them briefly once inside the city. Although a walled city, Rhodes is very different from Dubrovnik in the style of the buildings and roads and alleyways. In fact, the city reminded me much more of Venice without the canals. I wandered about the tourist area for a while, taking pictures, and then I found my way into the non-tourist area which I thought was even better and from which I got some better pictures.

My plan was to spend only a few hours wandering around Rhodes, and then head back to the ship and lay out by the pool for the rest of the day, reading my book on the history of London. I was back on the ship and poolside by 10:45 AM. I found a lounge chair right beside the pool, aligned perfectly with the sun. there I stayed for the next six hours. During that time, I swam laps in the pool twice, ate two hot dogs, drank several large Sprites, and 3 Dos Equis. At one point, in a three hour span, I managed to read an entire 12 pages of my book. I guess it’s hard for me to read sitting beside the pool.

Jen and Jason joined me around 2:30 and Mom came by a little later. At 4:30, I finally decided to call it quits because I wanted to shower (I was greasy from all of the sunscreen) and nap for a while before dinner.

As you might guess, no matter how much sunscreen I used, I still managed to overdo it. My arms, neck and legs are actually very dark. My chest is as red as a lobster, and in fact I just applied a gallon of aloe with lidocane which doesn’t seem to help much, but which smells pretty awful.

I did manage to nap for an hour or so before dinner. Dinner tonight was the “Princess Dinner” which is what I think they use as filler on those nights that they don’t have a special dinner planned. Don’t get me wrong, the food was good, but it was nothing special. There was tuna sashimi on the appetizer menu, and both Jason and I ordered it, but we were disappointed because it was actually cooked. I ordered the fetuccini alfredo because I wanted some high energy food and that was very tasty. In fact, it came served in a “bowl” of baked parmesan cheese. And for dessert, you guessed it: the chocolate mousse.

So tonight we’re playing another Texas Hold ‘Em poker game, but for no money this time. Then at 10 PM, we’re heading to the Skywalker lounge for the 80s retro hour.

We are in Santorini tomorrow and everyone we’ve talked to had said it’s the best island stop on the trip. I’ll give you my opinion tomorrow.


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.