So I’m restarting my efforts at writing my first novel and I’m pretty excited about it. I’ve spend some of the last week doing some basic outlining. Since it’s a hard science fiction novel, there’s a lot of research to do. For anyone interested, here’s the initial list of books I’ll be reading in preparation for writing the novel.
- This New Ocean: The Story of the First Space Age by William E. Burrows
- The Emotion Machine: Commonsense Thinking, Artificial Intelligence, and the Future of the Human Mind by Marvin Minsky
- The New Worlds: Extrasolar Planets by Fabienne Cosoli and Therese Encrenaz
- Advanced Space Propulsion Systems by Martin Tajmar
- Physics of the Impossible: A Scientific Exploration into the Worlds of Phasers, Force Fields, Teleporation, and Time Travel by Michio Kaku
- Centauri Dreams: Imagining and Planning Interstellar Exploration by Paul Gilster
- China’s Space Program: From Conception to Manned Spaceflight by Brian Harvey
- Modern China: The Fall and Rise of a Great Power by Jonathan Fenby
I’ve also got a slew of clippings from NEW SCIENTIST to re-review. But this should be a good start.
Originally published at From the Desk of Jamie Todd Rubin. You can comment here or there.