We moved into our new house on Tuesday and one of the first things I did was get as much of my new office setup as possible. I had to be able to work on Wednesday, and I needed my office to do that.
Our new neighbors mentioned that they were impressed with how quickly the books filled my bookshelves. I neglected to mention that, at this point, I put the books on the shelves in the order they came out of the boxes. It would be difficult for me to find a particular volume.
But the office is shaping up, with half of it—the working half—more or less functional, if not a bit messy.
The other half of the office is another matter. I still have eighteen boxes of books to unpack, with no place to put the books as of yet. At some point, I’ll get some more bookshelves, but it will be a close call as to whether all the books will actually fit in this room. All of the pictures that hang on the walls throughout the house are also being temporarily housed in the other half of my office. It will be a while for that side to be cleared up.
With the new house, comes a new network, and this one is fiber, and I can tell the difference. We had good download speeds at our old house, but nothing like what we have here. We also have good coverage throughout the house, but even so, the two laptops in my office are connected via ethernet when I am in here to give me the fastest possible speeds.
Sitting at my desk, I am surrounded on three sides, which is something I’ve wanted for a long time. Now I have enough surface area for my laptops and notebooks. Nothing matches at this point, but over time I plan to replace my current desk with stuff that matches throughout the office. It is low priority. I need to be functional, and what I have rigged up in here is good enough for now.
There’s so much to do I don’t even know where to begin:
- I need to organize the stuff on my desk to be functional. I want things that I need at arm’s reach.
- Organize what I have in the drawers. They are a mess right now. I purged a bunch of stuff last night, but I can do better.
- Hide all of the cables. I rushed to get operational, but I really want to hide as much of the cabling as I can manage.
- Add French doors to the entrance. It opens into the living room right now, and that has already proved tricky when I am on calls.
- Put all my books back into order. I may wait until the rest of the family heads to the beach for a few days later this summer to tackle that project.
All of that aside, I love this office. I love the light I get from all around. I love being able to look into the park that our house backs up to. It is a great place to work. I am hoping it will be an equally great place to write, to think, and to read.