Thanksgiving Morning

cooked turkey on table

Sometime in the middle of the night, I woke from an usually pleasant dream. I dreamt that I had submitted a novel manuscript to TOR, and at meeting for something, I was handed a sheaf of paper. The top page I cast aside, and beneath it was the first page of a contract for the novel. It had the title on it (which I don’t remember) as well as two columns of notes from various editors about what to keep and what to take out. This, of course, is odd for a book contract, but then, I haven’t had any real experience with book contracts. I remember being so happy, I felt I might burst into tears. Also, on the contract, it indicated how much I’d be paid: a $5,000 advance, $1,000 upfront, an additional $2,000 upon turning in the manuscript, and a final $2,000 on publication. I was thrilled. Then I woke up and it took me a few seconds to realize that no, I hadn’t actually sold a a novel to TOR. It had been a dream.

I got up at 6 am, dressed, and headed out for my morning walk. I walked in silence, watching the sky brighten in the east. At the 7-Eleven I walk to, I bought an orange juice, like I always do. Then I headed back out into the cold for the walk home. As I rounded the corner from the store, I saw there on the sidewalk a $10 bill. I looked around to see if there was anyone walking by who might have dropped it, but the street was empty, so I picked it up. Fortune, it seemed, decided to buy my an orange juice in lieu of selling a novel to TOR.

On my way home, I saw one of the foxes that I often see on my morning walk. I tried to get a picture of it on the trail, but it dashed into the woods and sat on the remains of a fallen tree. I tried to get a picture of it there from a distance, but it something of a fuzzy blur. If you look closely at the center of the photo, you’ll it staring back at me.

fox in the woods

A little further down the bike path, I ran into a bunch of deer. They were crossing the path some distance in front of me, but didn’t really move away when I passed, and were kind enough to allow me to photograph them. In return, I warned them of the fox just up the way.

When I got home, all the kids were awake, and my brother-in-law had started making coffee. Since Kelly and I don’t drink coffee, it made for a usually pleasant smell in the house. I shed my vest and hat and built a fire in the fireplace. The kids (ours and my sisters) huddle around the fire and started watching Home Alone 2. Thanksgiving Day has started.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Did you enjoy this post?
If so, consider subscribing to the blog using the form below or clicking on the button below to follow the blog. And consider telling a friend about it. Already a reader or subscriber to the blog? Thanks for reading!

Follow Jamie Todd Rubin on


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.