This day in (my) history

What’s the point of keeping a diary for 10 years if you don’t go back and look at it every now and then. Here, then, are some excerpts from April 22 over the last 10 years.

April 22, 1996

Earth Day. I called in sick to work today. I think that if I hadn’t taken cold medicine before I went to sleep last night, I would have gone into work–but I got to rest and my cold seems much better… I spoke to Grandma and Grandpa today. They are doing well, although for some reason, Grandpa sounded “down”… Andy Owens called me this evening. He’s having an open house on Thursday for his new apartment. I told him I’d try to make it.

April 22, 1997

Services were held this morning for Grandma at Hellman Memorial Chapels in Spring Valley. My guess is that there were abot 75-80 people. Gail brought Uncle Max, and when Grandpa saw him, they both hugged and cried, and Grandpa said, “Now I know ow you feel, Pat.”

April 22, 1998

Got email from Dan first thing this morning–his sister Julie died Monday from liver failure due to cancer. She was 32 years old… the news shocked me and I was in a state of shock all day. I finally got in touch wth Dan tonight. He returned my call and we talked for nealy an hour and a half… performed one of my rare stupidities today–I left my wallet at home. That means I had to have a guard let me into work. It also means I drove home under some stress, knowing I didn’t have my license with me.

April 22, 1999

In Washington, DC. Up at 7:30 AM and into work at 8 AM. No fallout whatsoever from the server upgrade… warm today–in the 80s. Got back to the hotel shortly after 5 PM and napped for a while then I went to TGI Fridays for dinner.

April 22, 2000

Slept in late this morning, more than making up for the sleep I lost over the past two days. Zeke had made a mess out of some dried flowers that we had to clean up this morning… Tawnya and I had dinner at Coco’s and then rented The Astronaut’s Wife–which was absolutely awful… And Federal Marshalls stormed the home that Elian Gonzales was staying this morning and returned him to his father. A good move in my opinion, but all people will remember is the machine gun that was pointed at him.

April 22, 2001

Went to the Iliad Bookshop today and traded in one of my two signed copies of Dragonflight for a $40 store credit. I used it to get a 3 volume leatherbound Complete Works of William Shakespeare… It was a beautiful day today. Tawnya and I took a drive up the coast (118 miles round trip). Tawnya made an excellent chicken and potato dinner and after we went for a walk.

April 22, 2003

On board United 299 (seat 14F) somewhere over Kansas and just about halfway through the flight to Los Angeles. The flight seems longer than normal; I dozed off for a bit and when I woke, I thought that we were farther along, but no, we’re only about halfway. The flight is pretty full, and although I’m in Economy Plus, the seats next to me are not empty.

April 22, 2004

John Osuna gave me the name of a Mac shop in Gaithersberg where he recommended I take my iMac for its service. I spoke to the service manager there (Rich) and will probably bring it in on Saturday… Zeke had thrown up sometime today and I cleaned it up when I got home… Just finished the final draft of “Astronomer” and I will send it off to F&SF first thing Saturday.

April 22, 2005

I had a banana split this afternoon for the first time since last summer. It was good, but now I feel stuffed… Took my spending money today; I had very little left over from last week. I also contributed $20 to Lee Meyer’s retirement party a week from today (which I won’t be able to attend)… Sold the July 10 Red Sox tickets to Hilary Peck for $50 for the pair. I’ll bring the tickets in next week. Also posted a note indicating the Devil Ray tickets for May 1 are available for the same price.

So what does my diary entry for April 22, 2006 look like?

April 22, 2006

Slept unusually late for a Saturday–not up until 10 AM. Spent the morning reading more of In Memory Yet Green and doing laundry. Got the latest NEW YORKER in the mail today, but other than that, junk. Trevor called just before 1 PM and I agreed to meet him and Jason at the Museum of Natural History (instead of watching the Yankee game).

Headed downtown, taking the May SCIENTIFIC AMERICAN and getting through one article on the train. We met and then did a walking tour of the major monuments for Jason. It was overcast (had been raining hard this morning) but the rain held off, and it was actually humid out. Afterward, we headed up here and had dinner at Franklins then came back to the house for a little while. Trevor and Jason left just after 8 PM.

Yanks won today 6-1 and the Red Sox lost so it was a good day. I’m seeing more and more Mets fans and I simply can’t understand how people can bear that burden. It’s masochistisc, if you ask me.

Message from Dad this evening. Also heard from Doug this morning.



This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.