Today is the first full day of the Nebula Weekend. For my non-science fiction friends, the Nebula Awards are science fiction & fantasy’s equivalent of the Academy Awards. They are the awards that are voted on by your peers, the members of the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America. This was the first year that I was a full active member and could vote for the works and so I’m particularly excited about attending.
The award weekend is being held in Washington, D. C. this year and as I live in Falls Church, VA, it’s just a short metro ride to all of the festivities. I’ve been watching on Twitter and Facebook as a ton of people arrive in town and I’m getting anxious to head downtown to see them. There are lots of tours of various DC attractions happening this weekend, but I won’t be doing those since I live here and have done them all a million and a half times. It is kind of strange to remember that most people attending don’t live here and many of them may never have been to Washington, D. C. before.
I am most looking forward just to getting to hang out with other writers, some of whom I have admired for a very long time. In addition, there will be many people in town who I know from online groups like the Codex Writers Group, but whom I have never met in person. It will be fun to get to meet them in the flesh.
Here’s some other things I’ll be doing at the Nebula Weekend:
- Heading to the hotel late-morning. Looking for friend and familiar faces just to hang out and chat. I don’t know that anyone is looking for me, but if you are, you can DM me on twitter: @jamietr.
- I’ll be attending the mass book signing at 5:30pm. In addition to having a number of friends and colleagues signing books, there are several people I’ve never met in person who will be there and I’m looking forward to meeting them as well. And yes, I’ll be bringing a few things to get signed. As I have often said, I’m a fan first and a writer second.
- Probably be attending part of the reception honoring the nominees this evening.
- Attending the SFWA business meeting because I’ve never attended one before and I want to see how much it resembles a meeting of my homeowners association.
- Possibly attending the Reading Aloud 101 session
- In the afternoon I’ll be attending the Improving Your Website workshop to see if there are way that I can, you know, improve this website.
- I will be attending the Nebula Awards banquet, as well as the presentation. Kelly will be attending both of these with me tomorrow evening and we get to dress up all fancy for them.
- I’ll likely be attending both programming events on Sunday, as well as just looking to hang out with folks.
I look forward to seeing everyone there!
I’m jealous, even if I am the shy sort.
You forgot to add, “Getting books signed for Michael A. Burstein.” 🙂
Ah, the SFWA Business Meeting. Always an interesting time.