I forgot that my workout started at 6:15 AM today and so I was at the gym at 5:45 AM (thinking it started at 6 AM. That gave me time to squeeze in 20 minutes of cardio, which I missed the last two days because I was running out to Annapolis after work where the vet hospital is located.
Today was an upper-body workout day.
Exercise Group 1
- Chest press (free weights): three sets (12/12/10). First set at 65 lbs. Second and third sets at 75 lbs. This actually seemed just a little bit easier than the last time I did it
- Tricep exercises. Two 20 lbs free weights, one in each hand. Knees slightly bent, back straight but body leaning forward at an angle. Weights held in front of you and with elbows close to your sides, you pull the weights back. And repeat. Three sets of 15/15/15.
- Jumping jacks (30/30/30). My left shoulder felt a little stiff first time around
Exercise Group 2
- Pull-downs. Seated at a pulley machine. Pull down the bar to the top of your chest, sitting straight with back slightly arched and chest forward. Three sets of 12/12/12. All three sets at 65 lbs.
- Bicep curls using pulley machine. Three sets of 12/12/12 at 40 lbs for the first two sets, 30 lbs for the last set.
- Push ups. Three sets of 10/8/7. My arms felt like putty and it was hard to do these.
Exercise Group 3
- Pulley machine. Standing forward with a ring in each arm and each side set to 30 lbs. Pull arms together in front of you and then release back. These were tough for me. Three sets 10/8/8. First 2 sets at 30 lbs in each arm; last at 10 lbs in each arm.
- Abdominal crunches, left shoulder to right knee (15/20/20)
- Abdominal crunches, right shoulder to left knee (15/20/20)
Exercise Group 4
- Bent leg dead lifts. Using a free weight of about 40 lbs. Hold bar at waist level, knees slightly bent. Lean forward so that weight moves towards floor and then back up. (Focuses on lower back). Three sets of 15/15/15.
- Jumping jacks (30/30/30). No more shoulder stiffness at this point
I’ve got two sessions with Bernard next week: Tuesday at 6 AM and Thursday at 4 PM. In the meantime, I’ve been instructed to do a lower-body workout before then, and some cardio and abs.