Mykonos: A day at the beach

Posted at 3:50 PM local time

I got a good night’s sleep last night, except for the dream that I was shot in the back by a drug dealer. Aside from that, however, I slept very well and I slept in until 9 AM and decided to forgo breakfast. Instead, Jen, Jason and I headed up to Mom and Dad’s suite to wish them a Happy 40th Anniversary! Jen, Jason and Mom had champagne; I opted out.

We were planning on trying to go to one of the nude beaches on Mykonos, mainly because we were curious. Mom and Dad wanted to go with us so we altered our plans and decided on the main family beach instead. We got off the ship and took a shuttle bus to the downtown area. From there, we walked through town, taking lots of pictures and getting slightly lost before we found the southern bus stop. We purchased round-trip bus tickets and caught the bus to the south side of the island where there was a large beach.

We walked onto the beach and were directed to some very comfortable beach lounge chairs in front of one of the many hotel/restaurants. We needed 5 of the beach chairs and they were 5 Euros each, but we paid for them and it was very relaxing. There were umbrellas and you could adjust how much sun you got. Plus, the water was an incredible shade of turquoise near the shore, and gradually grew darker the farther out you looked. It was an amazing view. We spent about 2 hours on the beach and I spent most of the time in the sun, listening to Dark Side of the Moon and Animal. I did swim in the Mediterranean, however. The water was not as warm as in Hawaii, but it was still pretty warm, especially once you were in. The sand in the water was soft and smooth and dropped off rapidly. I swam out about 100 meters or so, and the water was probably 4 meters deep at that point. I estimate I spent 15 minutes swimming in the water. It was salty, but not so much that you couldn’t open your eyes. In fact, I could see quite clearly under water.

I did notice three women sunbathing nude on the beach, even though it was a family beach. There were also some teenagers nearby who saw them too, and who couldn’t repress their delight. I’m ashamed to say that I was delighted as well, although I managed to suppress it better than the teens.

For lunch, we went to one of the beach-side restaurants. I had the souvlaki (pork) and it was pretty good, only a little dry. We got a fairly significant discount at the restaurant for having rented the beach chairs, and Jen and Jason happily picked up the check as an anniversary present for Mom and Dad.

From there, we took the bus back to the town and wandered around a bit, looking for windmills, which I eventually found. In doing so, I lost the rest of the family, but since I knew we were all heading back to the ship eventually, I headed back to the ship on my own. Once back on the ship, I showered (ahh!) and came right down to the Wheelhouse lounge to post this entry for all of my faithful readers.

Dinner tonight with the folks, and champagne with dessert in celebration of their 40th anniversary. Then I think we may play Texas hold ’em poker in one of the bars, just the five of us. (Incidentally, Mom won $500+ in the casino last night). $20 buy in, winner takes $80, runner up gets their money back. It should be fun.

We are in Kousadasis, Turkey, tomorrow and I have an all-day tour to the ruins of Miletus and Didyma. When I get back from that, I have my third massage and then Jen, Jason and I are having dinner at the specialty steak house.

Until tomorrow…


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.