Website host migration: a status update

Yesterday, I completed the testing of migration of this site (WordPress install, database, etc.) to a new hosting service. The tests were successful meaning all that’s left is to wait for the official domain transfers to go through. Based on the update I received today, that should happen on Saturday.

Therefore, if everything stays on schedule, I’ll update the nameservers sometime this Saturday evening, December 3. What that means for you folks who visit this site regularly is that there will be some down time when the site won’t be available. I’m told that this can last anywhere from 3-12 hours. I’m trying to target the down time for Saturday night/Sunday. It is an off-week (i.e. no Vacation post this Sunday) and I think this is the best time to minimize interruption.

I’ll be posting updates via twitter (@jamietr) but in the meantime, if you find yourself visiting any of the domains that resolve to this site on Saturday evening or Sunday, you may find the site down. Be forewarned.

Once the new nameservers have propagated through the Interwebs and the site is up and running again, I’ll post about why I decided to change hosts and what steps were involved to make the change.

During the outage, if you’d still like to read the posts here, you can find them replicated in the following places:

I’ll do one final post before I get started with the final migration just so everyone is reminded that it’s happening.


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.