Every now and then, I have to remind myself how lucky I am to have such a great audience here on the blog. Each year, the numbers keep going up, and it always surprises and pleases me. As I write this post, the blog has passed 1.2 million page views this year, and has seen nearly 600,000 visitors pass through its turnstiles. I am grateful for each and every one of them. So it only seems appropriate that I let you know about the various blogs that I have been reading this year, and I urge you to check them out at your leisure, if they suit your tastes as well.
New in 2014
Here are some blogs that were new to me1 in 2014:
- The Atlantic’s technology blog. Interesting articles on technology’s impact on the world.
- Anil Dash’s blog. Great social commentary.
- Stephen King Revisited. A fun, insightful re-read of King’s entire body of work, in order.
- Five Thirty Eight’s blog. Great analytics blog, covering all aspects of life.
- Quantified Self blog. Great for links to what is going on in the quantified self community.
- ThinkUp blog. I wish all blogs had the positive attitude approach that ThinkUp takes.
- 99U[1 Full disclosure: I had an article published here earlier this year.]. Runs the gamut of productivity topics.
- Shroud of the Avatar. An insider’s blog to the development of the Shroud of the Avatar game.
- Damien Walter’s blog. A great example of blog writing.
Old reliables that I still enjoy
- John Scalzi’s Whatever blog. John’s blog is the example I strive for on my own blog. I like his clarity of thought, and the wide range of topics that he covers.
- SF Signal. My source for genre news, and pretty everything else when it comes to science fiction, fantasy, and horror.
- Brain Pickings. Eclectic blog where I find something interesting and/or useful every week.
- Buffer Blog. Great insight into a startup company.
- Bud Sparhawk’s blog. A great counterpoint to my own (generally upbeat) posts on a writer’s life. Bud is a far more successful writer than I am, and it is fascinating to read about his approach to the craft.
And in 2015…?
Any suggestions for blogs to read in 2015? Drop the in the comments. And thanks once again for reading.
- But not necessarily new to everyone else ↩
What reader do you use? I’ve been trying to find a reader that works with all the blogs I follow, but it seems that I cannot find one that works with everything.
If you are a netflix user, the What’s on NETFLIX Now? blog is a good one: http://whatsonnetflixnow.blogspot.com/
David, I use Feedly as my RSS (blog) reader. I’ve been using it for well over a year, and I think it is great. It works really well with Pocket and Evernote. I’ve written about my process here.
I am a Netflix user, so thanks for the recommendation.
Thank you. Much appreciate your answer. Sorry it took so long to say thank you!